I was made for more than this

What is this that brings me hope
in the middle of the night?
Makes me run to You?
- what is this, King's X

Sometimes I wonder whether this whole obedience to God thing is really all that it is cracked up to be. What does prayer do anyway? Is it really worth it to serve Him and to pattern my life after that of His Son? Is He really conforming me into the image of Christ or is this something that is happening because I am maturing on my own? These questions and more like them cross my mind from time to time and unsettle me. They don't scare me, because He knows I am but dust, but maybe they should. Maybe I should be asking questions that do scare me more - is that where the real, life-changing answers lie?

I do know that driving into work today I realized that I was made for more than the trips I take to the office; more than the work I accomplish; and even more than the ministries I am engaged in. I was made to love Him and find my entire satisfaction in Him. He has set His love on me and His grace has proven true time and time again.

The war is not over, is it, Lord? The battlefield has changed, but the war remains. Rather than trying to kill you, Lord, I know seek to crucify this flesh. This is but a small part of what brings me hope in the middle of the night.

Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer