From Feisty Fawn to Gutsy Gibbon

Upgrading an installation of the Ubuntu Linux OS while Tourniquet is blessing my brain through my iPod is perhaps a glimpse into what life can be, but often is not.

Well, I decided to take the plunge, download the .iso and upgrade from Ubuntu 7.04 to Ubuntu 7.10. There were only a few minor hiccups that had nothing to do with anyone but me:

  • I almost blew away my Windows partition (yes, I still have one of those) which would have been a bit more than a minor inconvenience

  • I had to restart the install because I forgot that the installation was going to do some mirror scanning for apt configuration and needed access to the world wide web. Of course that meant I had to set the proxy, but I failed to do that the first time through.


Things look good for now. Samba is on there so the network connections to my lab PCs are all good. I would like to think that network printing is easier, but I will check that out. The iPod is much easier to connect to than it was with 7.04. I had high hopes for the internal modem as 7.10 installed some restricted drivers when it first booted up, but I am still having issues with it. Also, I am still not able to connect to the wireless network here. I will tackle these issues later if I am adventurous.

Overall not bad for wiping the existing partition and starting over. I am glad I took the plunge.

Update#1: One very nice surprise is that I was able to automatically mount my NTFS-formatted external hard drive (USB-powered) in read/write mode. I struggled with that in version 7.04 for a while and finally gave up. It works automatically in 7.10.

Update#2: Another welcome relief is that I can finally use the Fn Stand by key combination to put my computer in that mode. This was an annoying thing about 7.04 that is fixed nicely in 7.10 - no more shutting down the laptop when standby will do just fine.

Update #3: I also noticed that when I unplug my network cord and plug it back in again I can get back on the network without an issue. I always unplugged the network cord with fear and trepidation while running 7.04 as it would never seem to connect again. 7.10 has changed all of that thankfully for the better.

Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer