Booting into Linux from USB drive

Well, after numerous attempts last week I finally have my 4 Gb USB drive configured to run a persistent instance of Ubuntu 7.04 using these directions:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/21/usb-ubuntu-704-persistent-install-for-linux-users/

The key for me was repairing the master boot record (MBR) using lilo. Once that was done I was able to get into the Linux install and noticed that it ran a lot faster than booting into a live instance from the CD. I am running USB 2.0 on the laptop so I guess that makes a difference.

I need to run some tests to see which settings are saved upon exiting and which ones are not, but I think that will just take some time. I am just happy to have gotten this thing going after trying for quite some time.

Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04