So it rained

In the it-seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time department....

I started in on the deck on Friday and got a good first coat on the main deck (minus the stairs and railing) and let it dry for 3 hours or so and then started in on the second coat. I had just gotten done with the second coat of the stain and then the skies blessed us with the rain we have been needing for a while. There were showers of blessing and I would have been much more interested in the "mercy drops" at that point, but there was someone pleading for the showers I'm sure.

I think I held it together pretty well (I forgot to ask my wife what her impression of my countenance was) and the rain set me back only a little. Of course this is a situation when I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was terrible. Terrible that God would send the rain and wash off at least half of my second coat.

But then that is life here and in heaven as well. This is God's story and not mine. I have no idea why he sent the rain at that very moment and so much of it too. His googol of reasons for the order of any event; the path of the seed carried on the wind; His unsearchable search for the lost; His patience with the redeemed...all of it as the rain ran down the gutters and into the sewer in front of our house. I was caught in this and rather than lament the fact that I would soon have to cover the splotches caused by the pooling water with yet another coat of paint I wonder (not then, mind you, but now) what it all meant. .

What was His purpose that day? Was I part of it?

I pray that I was, Dad.

Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04