Common authority and conflict resolution

I have 3 brothers and two sisters so there is ample opportunity for us to be at odds with one another. In fact, the way the world is, I am surprised that we are not more upset with each other than we have a tendency to be (which is hardly ever). As a family, we have been wrangling through some issues and have had opportunity to offer counsel to an individual but, largely, on our own. We have had minimal coordination between us concerning how we were going to cousel this individual and what we were going to say.

Yesterday I had a conversation with my brother and sister in law concerning the content of their counsel to this individual and came away with an unusual amount of peace. Not that I expect things to go wrong when they are involved, but I the peace I felt was rooted in knowing that we are appealing to a common authority (the Scriptures) when counseling this individual. This has led us to give advice to this person that is, straight up, the same - as if we were in the room together as we were speaking to this individual.

Why does this surprise me? Well, I am not sure. It shouldn't knowing the character of God and the promises He makes when we submit to His authority. What it does is fill me with confidence that, if I but trust Him and take Him at His word to such an extent that it changes my life, I will have a peace that surpasses understanding.

Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer