Observation Report: 6-25-2007

Well, the clear sky alarm clock went off yesterday so I did some hasty preparation (more on that later) and headed out to the parent's house for some observations. I wanted to bag a couple of double stars (and one triple) in the constellation Ophiuchus so I recorded their Hipparcos (HIP) catalog numbers and headed out. The air was humid and their was not a breeze to be bought at any time during the night. That having been said the views were still a little soupy but were better the closer to zenith I got.

Because there was still a lot of ambient light when I set up (21:15 or 21:30) I went to the moon (waxing gibbous) and Venus first off. Venus was showing a nice crescent but was setting and was not as sharp as I would have liked it to be. Jupiter was next on the list and all four of the Galilean moons were visible. It was getting darker and the first star I saw was Vega so I thought I would try and alignment.

Things went well and my second alignment went to Vega and Arcturus (the second star I saw). My goto was just a little low and off center in my 25mm eyepiece, but some of the targets were so spot on I was amazed. This is when I realized that the doubles were going to be out of reach because I did not have the SAO (Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory) number - only the HIP - and my hand controller only knows SAO input. Rats. Oh well, time to try something else because I was not in the mood to star hop.

I went to all of my summer favorites beneath the great Summer Triangle (Vega, Deneb, and Altair): M13, M92, M57 (which was murky and I could not resolve the central star - I can't remember the last time that I did not resolve that), and Albero (did not push the magnification on this too much). Soon the mosquitoes were too vicious to ignore and I packed it in.

All in all a great night. I need to get those HIP and SAO catalog numbers figured out and I will be out again with my light bucket firmly trained on and hunting through the serpent bearer.


Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer