Dvorak Symphony #9

I woke up this morning and really had a yearning to listen to Dvorak's "New World" Symphony. I am doing that right now. I remember the first time I heard the piece it was with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra on a subscription that I had purchased when I was a senior at SUNY Brockport. One of the nice things was that students received a 50% discount on all tickets purchased so it was a great way to spend one evening a month. I opted for the Saturday night performances as I had early classes on Friday (if I recall correctly).

It was very moving and something I will not forget. Sort of like the experience I had hearing the Hebrides Overture (Mendelssohn) that Summer night at the Finger Lakes Performing Arts Center. I knew that I had heard something very special (on both occasions) and instantly connected with the pieces and the composers.

A foretaste, perhaps, of the dawning of the new world that is yet to come.


Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer