Ever the tinkerer

OK, so I found out there is a program that I could download to construct personalized treadmill routines on the new treadmill I just inherited. It is called i2Workout and it has a sound(!) interface with the new treadmill. I thought that was pretty novel. In other words, if I wanted a program that would interact with a piece of exercise equipment I would not have thought to use sound. So, what I do is hook up the computer to the treadmill via the headphone jack, press start on i2Workout and I have my routine.

But then I thought that it was too much of a pain to bring the computer down to the basement every time just to get my customized routine. So, I downloaded Audacity from Sourceforge and, as I type this, I am recording the sounds that come out of the computer speakers to control the treadmill to an mp3 file. Now I can use a cheapo mp3 player to play the sounds that control the treadmill. In order to export the sound file as an mp3 I needed to download and decompress the compiled Lame encoder. I could not get that off of Sourceforge because it only distributes the source code and I am not smart enough to compile it.

If this works it will be a miracle. No, it should work out just fine. If there is anything wrong in my approach I will be the first to write about it here. Isn't technology grand?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer