Wondering about what could have been

A thought had just crossed my mind. The novelty of it all left me a little startled. Not the content of the thought, but the fact that I had a thought. We are planning a trip at the end of this month to Disney World with our boys. My sister and brother in law will also be there with their two children. It will be a great time and we are looking forward to it. Just getting off the phone with the mechanic who has my car I found out that I need $561 in repairs to it. Of course this stings a little more as $500 spent in Disney is a romping good time. But why even go down that route?

Why should I even think about what could have been rather than embracing what is? Even beyond what saying "I wish" says about my relationship with God and the implied lack of provision that smacks of is the practicality of it all. This situation is. I can recoil or stand. I can curse Him or bless Him. I can grouse about it or put it in my pocket and not allow it to occupy another thought.

All of them choices. All of them born out of a conscious effort to reject the lamentation over what could have been and opening myself up to the engagement of what is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer