Preached at the Monroe County Jail last night

File this in the "you never know" department....

My fellow ministers and I were waiting in the lobby at the Monroe County Jail (a bit impatiently) to get let in to begin our church service when two gentlemen came out of the "airlock" (as I like to call it) that separates the jail proper from the entrance. One of them stopped and recognized Jack and Howard who have been coming to the Jail in one capacity or another for over 40 years. He thanked them for their commitment to preaching the Gospel in the jail because it had a profound effect on him. He was now a minister at the jail bringing the same good news to people that needed it so badly. That was a great encouragement to them.

There seemed to be a lot of poseurs there last night as the noise level during the singing, preaching, and the like was noticeable. There was a different chaplain there last night that did not keep as tight a reign on the inmates as another one (that I am used to) does so that may have had something to do with it.

I preached on faith and works out of James chapter 2. In the mode of continually refining my message on the way home I realized that I should have said that "Works are the evidence of genuine faith." I kind of hinted around at that and, at one point, said that works were the companion of faith, but I like the word "evidence" better.

I especially like Ephesians 2:8-10 when talking about faith and works because it gives such a clear picture that God produces faith in us as well as provides the works that we are to walk in. I like that. This not only identifies the source of our faith, but also the source of our works born out of our faith.

It also clearly illustrates the "replacement" principle that I find all through the Scriptures: God tells us not to do something and to do something else; God separates us from something to something else. This is not a trivial point at all. I find when I am failing to stay away from something that God has told me to quit doing it is almost invariably because I am not doing that "something else" that God has called me to.


Shook quite a few hands last night and I felt very appreciated. That's good and I always enjoy opportunities to preach the word. I pray, Lord, that my boys and I will work the field of souls together. What a thrill that will be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer