New Machine at Home

I picked up a fairly nice machine off the wantads here at work for $125 (AMD Athlon 1.46GHz, 512 Mb RAM, 60 Gb hard drive, DVD writer) and I have a fresh XP install on it with all of my favorite open source software (Firefox, OpenOffice, Picasa, AVGFree). It was custom built and all seems to be working well.

I would dearly love to get a dual boot Ubuntu Linux situation going, but I am a bit skittish as I will be loading the thing up with data pretty soon as I dump video, music and pictures onto it so I need all the space I can get. I may just rip the hard drive out of our previous machine (only 2 Gb) and make that the slave use it to hold the Ubuntu install. That way I will have a pretty good machine with a much better OS than XP.

We would probably be Linux all the way, but we are still on dial up and the internal modem support is nil. I refuse to get an external modem just to run Linux. Oh well, at least my wife can get back online and the boys can play their favorite games again. It is funny how much we depend on computers nowadays. I am not even that old and I've seen these advances.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer