Judging someone

The Bible warns me about judging someone. It also makes sure that I am careful to discern truth from error. That discernment requires judgment - me saying "this is right" or **gasp** "you are wrong". It also seems to me that when I judge something to be right or wrong I get either nodding heads or looks of horror that I dare say something, for someone else no less, is wrong.

Man is finely tuned to figure out what is. We have been built, it seems, with an insatiable curiosity and when I see the Space Shuttle land or Spirit and Opportunity rolling around on Mars I realize that this is us at our best. We love to learn.

What we are not finely tuned to figure out is what should be. We were in our innocence but now that our consciences have been scarred and now that we rebel against God we are awful at this. Our fallen nature clouds our minds to such an extent that we do judge rather than discern.

Thank God He has left me the perfect source for discernment - the Scriptures. Where the Scriptures are silent I am to be silent. What they address I am to address. I will stand on these alone when I say to my sons, "Here is the way. Walk in it."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer