It was a while ago

It was a while ago, but I can remember the call, the night it happened. I was working at the pizza shop when the phone rang and I answered it. From what I could tell there was a 10 or 12 year old boy on the other line that wanted an order of mild chicken wings. That was it. In the moment I took the call I hearkened to my days at that age. I remembered the loneliness, longings, isolation...all of it and, for lack of something better to do I guess, projected those feelings on that boy. I had nothing to offer him except the best wings I could make.

I went into the cooler and got the fattest, best looking wings I could find. I made sure I used the fryer with the cleanest grease and even made up a fresh batch of sauce. I remember cooking them and taking them out the instant the timer went off. I put six of the wings in the bin and shook them. Then the next six. Extra celery and bleu cheese too for this guy.

I have no idea who picked up the wings. Was it him? His dad? His friend's mom? And I knew my paltry offering was nothing he really needed. It was more for me and in response to who I was then. It was what I would have wanted someone to do for me because of the loneliness I felt and what raged inside of me at times. Maybe that's too strong, but I desperately wanted someone to connect with me. How desperately He wanted me to make my faith real and call out for Him.

That I know of he never called again. But as I write this I remember that night. I'll never forget that night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04