More fun with Ubuntu

OK, not quite esoteric geekery, but pretty cool:

I wanted to find a way to back up my data on my Linux laptop so I did some pokin around and found a script that would do that. It actually wrote the data to CD which was neat. I do have an on-board CD burner so I thought I would give it a whack. Well...I gave up on it after a bit. Then I had the bright idea of backing up my data to an FTP server. Well, I didn't have one so I downloaded and installed FileZilla Server on a Windows box that I have and re-wrote the script to FTP the tarball I make to that server. Pretty cool. Not that I expect Ubuntu to crash and burn, but I can screw up the most stable systems just as good as the rest of them.

I would still like to get the CD backup working, because I think that is cooler and I do not have a network at home that I can set up servers on and FTP stuff around. Godliness with contentment is great gain. But then again I just like to tinker I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer