The march of the planets

In the astronomical geekalicious category I just found out that Mercury will be transiting the Sun on November 8, 2006 and will be viewable in Rochester from 4:11 p.m. to 5:10 p.m. ET. I witnessed the Venus transit that occurred on June 8, 2004 I will make sure that I do not miss this. The transit of the interior planets are way cool to observe but the event will end after the Sun sets over here so I will not be able to see all of it. I’ll plan to set the telescope up with my solar filter firmly affixed before 4:00 p.m. so I can get a good view of the beginning of the event. The next Mercury transit will take place on May 9, 2016 and the next Venus transit will take place on June 6, 2012.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer