Incarnate ones

There is an album that I have listened to by Michael Card called Sleep Sound in Jesus which is full of lullabies that are written from a Christian perspective. The song “Dreaming Jacob’s Dream”, in my opinion, is one of the finest he has ever written; and that is saying a lot because, well, he’s Michael Card for crying out loud. There is another song called “Wordless Ones” which has a line that gives me great pause as I think about my sons:

In Your loving arms we lay
this wordless one so new
the incarnation of our love
we dedicate to you.

A good definition of incarnation that I found is: enfleshment; referring to the conception, and live birth of a sentient creature (generally human) who is the material manifestation of an entity or force whose original nature is immaterial. Of course we speak of the Incarnation (with a capital “I”) as the penultimate material manifestation of an immaterial entity, but what an amazing picture of my children!

To think that the incarnation of the love my wife and I have for each other has spilled his milk for the second time at the dinner table; or is running scared from the aphid that startled him as it climbed up his arm. What preciousness is this? There is no wonder that Christ Himself had such a fondness for children and spoke of them in such a unique and powerful way.

Looking at them I am sure He was brought back to His own incarnation and reminded of the love His Father had for Him and for us. I am sure it stirred in Him the love He had for His Father too and the obedience that would characterize that love and send Him straight to the cross. But the joy the Champion of Heaven would feel as He would be raised again and run straight into the only arms that could bear Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04