I want to be a hero

There was a song a long time ago called Hero (by Steve Taylor, not the “popular” one) where he writes that being a hero “is a nice-boy notion that the real world’s gonna destroy”. I can’t agree. I want to be a hero and I have known enough about this world that my desire to be a hero grows stronger with each passing day. Almost hourly some days. Most of all, I want to be my wife’s hero. To be admired by her and to have her look at me and know that there is a man who wants so desperately to be loved and admired by her and her alone. It gives me so much joy and satisfaction when she thanks me for what I have done – I feel like a provider and, at some level, a hero. I also want to be my boy’s hero. I want them to want to be like me. I want my God to be their God and for Christ-likeness to be their only desire.

Above all of this is my Hero. I think we can have small and big heroes. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. As long as our little heroes derive their joy from the Hero Himself I think we would do well to follow their lead. I know that it gives Him great joy when I think about Him and the Hero He is to me. I get a sense of that myself as I reflect on the feelings of being a hero for my family. I want to go to my grave hard with the knowledge that I gave it my all. That I finished the race strong, not flagging as I see the finish line approaching. Going out in a blaze of glory so to speak for the glory is all His anyway.

Yes, I want to be a hero. And because this world is not my home I find no encouragement or discouragement from it. My treasure lies elsewhere. And so does my Hero – but He is as close as the air that filled my lungs from the last breath I took. And there He is again. Hello, Hero. I beg you, please, remain with me and dine with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04