So many words

I haven’t even come close to fleshing this out as a thought yet, so I need some grace on this one. So much of what we say about God and especially what we sing about Him comes off as so much poetry. I mean, at times it can seem so unreal as we sing about the Father of Lights, or the Ancient of Days. I mean, come on, nice names and all, but what do they really mean?

The way I see it there are two things that flesh out our poetry about God. One is imminently more important than the other, but they both bear mentioning: Scripture and science. This is where it gets a bit fuzzy for me because I think that we can probably say Scripture and experience for what is science but a chronicle of experience? Maybe I should just say Scripture and experience. At any rate, Scripture is both the source and interpretation of the poetry that flows so eloquently from the composers pen and out through the instruments that give it life beyond their mind. All poetry is examined in light of the Scripture just as the natural man would run it through the sieve of their experience, so we as Christ followers run it through the sieve of the Scripture knowing that our experience deceives us more than we care to imagine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer