The Old Barren Cross

I dug out an old album by Barren Cross called Atomic Arena and had an imaginary conversation with myself about the best songs on the album. I went down the list – Imaginary Music, In the Eye of the Fire, Close to the Edge, Dead Lock, Heaven or Nothing…I think that is all I listed in my conversation. Well, I was mostly right. All of these songs kick hard except for Heaven or Nothing. Then I left off King of Kings which, although short, rocks all night long.

This little mental exercise (and the conversation which probably qualifies me for the psych center) leads me to one conclusion: In and of myself I have nothing of value to offer to interpret this universe. If I cannot even recall the good songs off of an obscure Christian heavy metal album how can I sift through the facts presented to me from this vast cosmos (both internal and external) and come to any substantive conclusions about what is real. It is the heart of folly to pretend that I can come to hard conclusions about anything in this matter. Pile my (hopefully diminishing) tendency to actively suppress the truth on top of my limited experience and capacity of recollection and this is a recipe for disaster.
And this disaster continues in this cursed world. In my life and others. Who will free me from this body of death? No one other than Christ Himself. May I, in ever increasing measure, live out practically the position He has placed me in.

On a completely unrelated note I would stand to wager that I am the only philosophy student in the history of SUNY Brockport to quote Stephen Crumbacher in a philosophy paper. If anyone else has (regardless of the educational institution you hail from) I would like to know about it. I quoted Ibsen too (Enemy of the People) but I would stand to think that this was more common. My claim to fame is isolated to this. How lame.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer