Backyard Changes

“Nothing ever changes in your own backyard…

If you want to make a difference then you’d better start with some backyard changes.”


When I was a new Christian at SUNY Brockport there was a guy that I eventually roomed with that was way into Christian music. He introduced me to a wide variety of groups. One of the best and most underrated was Crumbacher. They were a techno/synth pop group that was pretty groovy. They have a song (that I am actually listening to now) called Backyard Changes. I love it, and it speaks to me that my heart is where real change takes place. I tend to blame the place I am at for the trouble in my life. “If I could just remove myself from [[insert whatever you want here]] then I will have [[insert whatever you want here]].” Of course it is nonsense but this line of reasoning (and its derivatives) runs through my head and catches me in its lie. My heart is so vast and so deceitful at times – I will never know it.

But the promise is this: if I change my backyard then these things that swirl around me and are out of my control will hold less and less sway over me. And the nonsense that a change of scenery will do me good (ultimately) will not be sung. And I will jam more and more Crumbacher into my brain because they reflect the heart of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04