Should this be a focus?

I got an email note from a friend concerning a book he had read about music. Basically, this book is an assault on the idea that music is amoral as the majority of Christians believe that it is. He wanted some responses from people who have made the determination that music (independent of the lyrics applied to it)  is either moral or amoral and what information they used to arrive at that conclusion. I didn’t email him back. I am in the amoral camp. Then I got to thinking about why I did not email him back and why I am not intending to do so.

I am sure part of me just doesn’t want to explore this area in my life. Some part of me does not want to give up the music that I have been listening to for years now. Is this lack of desire of the Spirit or the flesh? I would like to say the Spirit but there is part of me that could pin it down to the flesh.

Another part of me bristles at the fact that, above everything else, this is a topic that is repeatedly brought up for discussion. As fundamentalist Baptists we are not exploring some of the more pertinent topics like how we should be responding to the AIDS crisis or a refining of what is the most effective method of communicating the Gospel to a postmodern culture, but whether Daniel Amos is right using a syncopated beat in their songs. Kind of drives me a little nuts.

Or maybe I am just hiding behind my “righteous” indignation. The Spirit is going to have to help me sort this one out. I just can’t introspect to that level yet. And there is another thing I would rather explore than music….oh it just goes on and on doesn’t it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer