My parents had a problem

My parents had a problem with one of the people I hung out with when I was in 5th and 6th grade. Looking back, he was not the kind of kid that I would want my boys hanging out with. Not in a million years. But I just thought my parents were being the over-domineering people that I had made them out to be in my head so I continued to hang out with him in total disregard of their warnings and wishes. It was dumb to do that and they were 100% right in their assessment of him and their fears of what I would become had I taken our relationship further. He was just a memory by 7th grade so things were better. For me anyway as I have no idea where he is or what happened to him.

I pray for the friends that my children will have. We pray that they will be surrounded by people who love the Lord and who can encourage them in their walk with Him. I need to be careful about the people I hang out with too. I have far too many weaknesses and areas of open rebellion that can be fed by the wrong people. Conversely those areas can be starved by the right people as well. Some people realize this fact much too late.

The Bible is clear: He that walks with wise men shall be wise; but a companion of fools will be destroyed. (Proverbs 13:20) I pray that I am wise so that my children, as they walk with me, will grow in wisdom and desire its riches. I am afraid that I am much too foolish for that to happen though. My debt to grace grows by the hour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer