The Wisdom of Work

Living life skillfully. That is a definition of wisdom that one of our pastors is fond of saying and I think it sums up what wisdom is for me. Not that long ago at a prayer meeting there was a gentleman that said he wanted to thank one of the teens at the church for helping split wood. I guess they accomplished a great deal during that time and it impressed him that this teen boy stuck with him through the whole thing. He said something I will never forget and have tried to implement: “Work always satisfies. Sitting around doing nothing never does. It is work that pleases the heart.” He is absolutely correct. I want to teach that lesson to my children and the guys I have charge over in Awana.

When we look back on the day and tally up how we have used the hours, are we pleased that we caught a few extra minutes of sleep? Or do we look at the basement, garage, yard, or other space where we worked and say, “Yes, it has been a fruitful day.”? More often than not (much more often) it is the latter for me and my wife. Work truly does satisfy and makes the heart glad.

Balance is needed, but this is wisdom that I will take deep into my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer