All too easily amused

I started an exercise routine. Well, right now it is just me walking on a treadmill in my basement (hopefully) 4 or 5 times a week. My weight has not been increasing, but it has been holding steady. I think that is a good thing, right? So, I think that if I increase my physical activity and at least keep my caloric intake the same (or slightly decrease it) then I will be ahead of the game. I do not think that I eat in a particularly non-healthy way, but I do need to get off the couch more than I do. Also, on Sundays in particular, I tend to eat in between meals far too often. There is just so much good food around the house and I eat out of boredom. My stomach actually grumbled in hunger yesterday. Don’t laugh, but that is a feeling that I haven’t had in a while. Walk more, eat less. Sounds decent enough for me.

I had a hand in making a video to promote a soup and chili contest that we are having at church on Super Bowl Sunday. After the late service we will all gather in the gym and sample some nice soup and chili awarding prizes to the best in class concoction. We did not make the playoffs last year and I am not sure if we are entering this year or not. We’ll see. At any rate, one of the pastors came over to warn my wife that the video would be shown after a certain hymn. I know that he meant it to be a light moment and funny, but I was distracted. It is not his fault, it is mine alone.

Knowing my fascination with making people laugh and being a bit of a clown I found myself drawn to the “premiere” of the video rather than getting caught up in the words I was singing. In fact, my heart beat a little faster at the end of the last hymn before the video. I would like to say that it was more to do with the words rather than the video but it was clearly not. I am so satisfied with making mud pies in the rain rather than contemplating the One who sent the rain or made me from the dirt it softens. Will I ever move from the realization of this ungodliness to victory over it? Will my sanctification ever reach that level? Have I been there and not recognized it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer