12 square feet of comfort

I have a rather large desk here at work that I spend quite a bit of time at each day. It measures in at approximately 24 square feet. On any given day I occupy about 12 square feet of the desk at any one time. I may spend an odd minute or half hour at the other 12 square feet of the desk, but that is rare. In fact, the only reason I go over to the other 12 square feet at all is because my coffee maker is over there and (I am in growing awareness of this every day) I need my coffee. I have become quite expert in the layout of the 12 square feet that I confine myself too. I have a less complete understanding of the other 12 square feet, but I do have some idea what is over there and how it is laid out. When I get something new to put in my cube, if it is functional (well, everything is functional at some level, but you know what I mean) I confine it to the 12 square feet where I find myself for most of the day: my keyboard, monitor, phone, CD player, empty Coke bottle to fill with water from the fountain, Palm Pilot cradle, pictures of the family….it is a little crowded but I like things where I can see them and use them in a convenient manner. No sense twirling around in the chair just to get a glimpse of my wife and family.

And then I think of the years I have been on this earth, and the culture I have grown up in, and the city I have always lived in, the State that I leave only on occasion, the country that I have left only a couple of times. And then I think that I set myself up to be the supreme arbiter of all that is true. If my pea brain cannot comprehend it then I am so quick to toss it away and forget about it. There is no height to my arrogance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer