Love? Peace? Again?

And so it goes. I am in a half-day today to make up for the half day I took off to wrestle with the hot water heater. There is absolutely no one here (that I can hear anyway) but it is only 7:43 am right now. I am sure people will trickle in as the day goes on, but I could be wrong. We’ll see how dedicated we are.

My wife got me a book called The Jesus I Never Knew by Phillip Yancey. It is a good book. Not as earth-shattering as Schaeffer’s The God Who is There or even Lewis’ Miracles but a good book in its own right. In it Yancey says something that is mightily true. He says that the only force in the universe that can conquer a heart is love. In fact, when God chose to demolish the separation that existed between us and Him since the third chapter of Genesis, He chose an act of love that is unrivaled in its breadth and unparalleled in its sheer weight. Sending His Son to die on the cross for our sins is the greatest act of mercy and love that the world has ever seen. That act conquered my heart and the hearts of countless people throughout the ages. No one could do it but Him. And He had every reason not to do it.

If we want to be peacemakers we ought to follow His lead. I believe that friendships are born and maintained through deliberate acts of service rooted in love. Conflicts are resolved in the same way. The Conflict was crushed through love. What makes us think that our petty differences would not be – and all the more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer