Heroes

“That’s the thing about life. It’s just every day stuff.” Jean Piccolo
“Then we could be heroes, just for one day.”  David Bowie

No one I regularly come into contact with (save my wife) has any idea who Jean Piccolo is, but when she said this it rang true in my heart and I measure my life against it. How well to I apply God’s principles to my day-to-day life? Am I handling the ordinary things with the wisdom that is born out of the fear of Him? Or am I living a practical atheism that opposes the Spirit’s work in my life?

I take exception to the phrase that is often uttered as heroes brave their demise or comfort to aid people in need “This is what America [or insert country of choice here] is all about.” It is often heard in the wake of a natural or man-made disaster.  David Bowie lends his voice to sing about the heroes that are there for the day. We need heroes and saviors – no question about it. If my life is on the line (and it was) I need someone (or Someone) there to grab my limp and lifeless body and breathe life back into it. I would owe my life to someone (or Someone) like that. As it stands now, I am not my own having been bought with a price.

At the same time, and more importantly, the grace and wisdom that I apply to the here and now, those times between my heroics, that is where the Spirit truly lives. I believe these are the times that define the real me. When my adrenaline fades and I am left with a broken hot water heater on an all-too-busy and depressing day already. What do I do with that? How do I craft a Godly response to that?

That is precisely where I fail. That is what I am all about. There is when I need my Savior and grace from the lovelies that I have charge over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04