Big, bigger still, bigger even still

It is funny when you sit down to write and you write about something that has no relation to what you intended to write about. By know I am thinking to myself, “What is it that I was intending to write about?” The answer is less obvious now because my brain is on to other things and what I had intended to write about is out the window of it.

So I don’t know what I think about this. We recently had a sermon on the Chronicles of Narnia because there is a movie coming out based on the book written by C.S. Lewis. I have read a lot of Lewis and his insights and clean explanation of the Word have given me great pause at times. It was mentioned that in this postmodern world there is no better introduction to Christ and Christianity than books like Narnia. In fact, there was one gentleman who used to hand out Lewis’ Mere Christianity (which I have read a couple of times) to skeptics. Now he hands out Lewis’ The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

When I was a young Christian, Mere Christianity was a dear book to me. It wasn’t so much that the arguments that were presented demolished any others presented by an agnostic, atheist, or other brand of unbeliever. Lewis, by his own admission, is no philosopher. What it did was give me the sense that there is some type of intellectual basis for this thing that now meant so much to me. That my mind could be fully engaged in contemplation on the One who captured my heart and that my intellect (whatever that was at the time or is now for Pete’s sake) would not be compromised.

Maybe my offense to the fact that this gentleman found this book to be inadequate in our postmodern times stems from my love of the book itself. Maybe it stems from the fact that I was not raised in a postmodern home and have no idea how to think like a postmodern man thinks. Who can argue if God chooses to use Narnia, or the Lord of the Rings to bring people to Himself. The jury is still out I think – not on God – but on these instruments.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer