Am I bummed? Surprisingly only slightly.

I have an obsessive personality. If there is something that I want to do I obsess about it and over it until someone (usually my wife) let's me know that I am getting a little too absorbed by it. Well, the other day I found a "too-good-to-be-true" offer on craigslist for a bunch (3 5-gallon buckets full) of Legos for $40. The posting listed that there were Star Wars, pirates, knights, etc. and that they were just kind of all jumbled up. I had heart palpitations (how's that for drama, Heather) and emailed the person with an offer to buy it. I knew the boys would dig them immensely. I told my wife about the deal and waited for the person to contact me...which they did not do.

In the course of my waiting I was given some perspective that eludes me almost all of the time: "If God wants you to have the Legos you will have them." I cannot tell you how freeing that was. I know I should be further along than this, but wow - I couldn't believe the calm that brought me. I was able to relax knowing that my efforts weren't what was needed in this area. Just God's grace and His watchcare over me.

We didn't get the Legos. And I am only slightly bummed about it. I thought I hit the lottery when I read the ad on craigslist. Little did I know the winning would be in the losing of the opportunity to plunk down the money for the item. I hope I am more like Christ as a result of this; I really do.

I guess I'll know how much more when the next potentially obsessive opportunity comes to my attention.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer