Last night

Last night I dreamed that I met Joe Jackson. He was quite a bit older than he is now although still as hip as I have imagined that he would be. He cried when I told him my story and the role his music played in it and he signed the front of my shirt. I couldn't quite make out what he had written (I was reading it upside down after all) but I figured it was both personal and profound.

The opening song on Joe Jackson's Blaze of Glory album is called Tomorrow's World and it is so fresh and real that it feels like he is in the room with me when I listen to it. I think one of the main reasons I like it is because of the beginning where the music seems to emerge. It doesn't begin but it is revealed to the listener. I have always been enamored with the idea of coming into something in the middle. For example, I love thinking that the music I listen to (currently Opera Sauvage by Vangelis) is always playing and I just happen to come across it as the various pieces start and stop on my iPod. I like to think that I am merely listening to something that has no definite beginning or end, but that I just happen to come to listen to it a particular moment in its time of forever playing.

I have no idea why I imagine things this way, nor do I think it is entirely normal. I think that this way of looking about the world is one of the reasons why I like the scenes in the middle of movies so much more than the ones at the end (and maybe one of the reasons I grow restless with romantic comedies).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer