3:39 a.m.

This morning I was thinking about digital music and some of the novel uses that, perhaps, have not been uncovered as of yet. I often see music as expression that is rendered in sound. I also work with the written word and see expression there as well. Obviously there are words that are set to music, but what about the music that are the words themselves? There is no question that there is a rhythm and rhyme to words and we raise and lower our voices (both in volume and pitch) when we read words...even if only in our minds. But what about words that are directly rendered to notes? In other words, what does a love letter sound like when compared to an eviction notice? And then I was wondering if we could tell what a document was after it had been rendered to music? Could I listen to a piece of music and say "that sounds like a blog post" or "that sounds like a recipe"?

What does the "collision" of words and music sound like? What is the "proper" way to translate words to musical notation? Should a letter with warm words always be rendered in a major key or would a minor key suffice at times? Should an italicized word be rendered into staccato notes or a triplet?

I needed to slow my brain down when it was approaching 4:00 a.m. but I made promise to myself that I would pursue this. Please consider this the first step in the journey of that promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer