Please and clean teeth

I was on a small plane once (it was one of those regional jets that I love to fly in) and I was asked by the flight attendant what I would like to drink. I said, “Diet Coke, please.” I love drinking Diet Coke on one of those regional jets. She was so struck by my response she said, “That is the first time I have heard that all day.” Mind you this was about 3:00 p.m. as I can recall so that was incredibly sad to me. I also just got back from the dentist. Everything looks good but I appreciate the fact that I can go and get my teeth cleaned at 8:00 a.m.. That makes my schedule so much easier at work. I am so appreciative of the fact that I can get in and get out so early in the morning. That is good service.

All this to say that when I experience something out of the ordinary, it is something that I think about, write about, and even meditate on. It strikes me how interested the Israelites were in the cloud that hung over the Tent of Meeting as they wandered the wilderness when it was first manifest. How passé it became as, time after time, it lifted from the Tent and led them to their next destination. What is passé in my life? How can I make the relationships I have with God, my wife, my children, and my co-workers more exciting and extraordinary? I want the interactions I have with them to strike me (on occasion – there’s only so much I can take) and give me pause. When have I been thrown into a contemplative state as a result of a conversation that I have had with any of the people I relate to day to day?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer