A visit from "Grandmom"

My mom called Thursday night and said that she would like to come over to our house Sunday morning after church. No problem at all. Our kids love to see their Grandmom so it would be a good time. I am very happy that my mom is comfortable enough to “invite herself” to our house and we love to have her come over. It is so reassuring to me and she is a model of a parent that takes the responsibility of contacting the children after they have moved out seriously. I believe that it is the responsibility of the parents to maintain contact with the children after the children have moved out. As a child I am expected to honor my mom and dad. But they do not have charge over me nor are they responsible for me anymore. At the same time I have built a home with my family (wife and children) and I care for them day to day. All of that to say that I have left my mom and dad. Not that I do not ever think of them or call them, but that is not my responsibility anymore. All of that has transferred to my family.

Will I feel the same way when my boys have grown and have families of their own? I sure hope so. Knowing and believing what I do know I want my heart to be prepared for that time. The time when 22 years will seem like a vapor and, prayerfully, my children are off and married with wives and (possibly) children of their own. What an exciting time that will be for them and us. Lord, please grant that whatever their life circumstances happen to be, that they will name You as their friend, lover, King, and Savior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer