A goal for 2006

This is my first post of the new year. There are a lot of exciting things happening with my friends that I am not privy to share, but it is looking like God is doing some great things for them and I am happy for them. Their joy is almost my joy and their sorrow is almost my sorrow. I know what the ideal is, but I get so far from that.

There is such a high standard for service when I became a Christian. I hear from the likes of Donald Trump and Martha Stewart that generosity is good for business. It is, no doubt about it. If it wasn’t, would their corporations be generous? Not sure. I could get into the whole philosophical line of reasoning that a corporation’s fiduciary responsibility is to maximize profits for their owners (stockholders) but there are other responsibilities too. But it goes even deeper than that once I have a relationship with God through Christ.

Suddenly, opening myself up to be the servant of humanity (a lofty goal) just isn’t big enough. I need to serve the least of the people we find for Christ is there, but God is not interested in my service if my heart is set on us making a show of it or doing it to, ultimately, make money. God wants me to love Him so much that the things He loves become the things I love. That is the key to it all. Do I owe God my life – no doubt about it. But I must not approach Him as a debtor approaches his creditor. I must love Him so much that my life is swallowed up in His. That when people look at me they see Him. That would be a loft goal, indeed.

I had to go back and switch all of the “we’s” to “I’s”. I am so self-centered I think in terms of we more quickly than I.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer