My post truth world

If there is anything that the last year, and even present circumstances, is showing me is that I live in a post truth world. I may be stepping into it a bit, but I find truth in the following two statements:

  • The current crop of COVID vaccines does not protect me from the virus.
  • The current crop of COVID vaccines protects me from the virus.
This is where I find us operating today. These statements are true and we talk past each other when we keep repeating them over and over again and never go beyond them or to the next level of information or data that would lend credibility to both of them.

God doesn't want me to live here, but I can't control how others handle the truth. I can only claim responsibility for how I do that and, quite frankly, I don't do it well. I consider a verse like James 5:16 where he writes: 

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." 

Now I know this verse exists in a very special context, but I think there is applicability beyond that as well (Galatians 6:1 for example). Now, I have to admit, confessing my sins to believers in the church does not seem all that interesting to me. I would rather live in my post truth world and give the impression that I am all right. You need not worry about me. Tell me yours, brother, and I'll be sure to maybe pray for you.

Do I really believe that the truth will set me free or am I just afraid of the misery that it will bring me? I dare say the latter. Paying lip service to the pursuit of truth, which is really the pursuit of Christ, is my lot more often than not. How much do I love him? How completely will I worship him?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer