tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

I have been, off and on, having an issue with the keys on my keyboard mapping to the correct values when using the tightvnc client when paired with the vncserver vino in Ubuntu 9.04. I am not exactly sure what keyboard layout the client and server was expecting, but it seemed like every time I restarted the OS the keyboard mapping problem would come back and I would be at square one again. Well, I think I have found the workaround I was looking for. Hopefully this will help anyone else that is having this issue.

Comments

  1. I am having the same problem, e.g. 'qwertyu' maps to 'c.gvnm', 'asdfgh' to 'abfhjk', etc.
    Unfortunately, your workaround did not work for me.

    But thanks for sharing :-)

    Rasmus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this to get it to work (on Debian sid):
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xrdp/+bug/320393

    WORKAROUND:
    disable the keyboard plugin of the gnome-settings-daemon using gconf-editor:
    /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/plugins/keyboard
    set active to False.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the exact same issue using tightvncserver on Karmic. The above solution worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what worked for me:

    2.Another way is to edit your xstartup file and add 1 new line “export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1″ (location is $HOME/.vnc/xstartup) then re-create a new vnc session.Below is an example.

    #!/bin/sh

    xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    #x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80×24+10+10 -ls -title “$VNCDESKTOP Desktop” &
    #x-window-manager &
    export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
    /etc/X11/Xsession

    Note:Please add this line before line “/etc/X11/Xsession”

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?