Distracted by a colon

A big thank you to all of you that read the title as "Distracted by my colon" rather than "Distracted by a colon." The former title would have made it a much better blog post. Philippians 3:13-14 was read when I was with the church yesterday and I followed along in my TNIV:

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead...

It's a small thing, really, that colon after the word "do" and before the space that immediately precedes the word "Forgetting". Yet it was enough of a distraction to me that I wrote "Distracted by a colon - blog post" on the top of my bulletin so that I wouldn't forget to offer another example of my shiny ball syndrome that plagues my mind. The virtue of the month for our kid's program is determination and I seem to be needed a lot more of that than usual lately.

I have been doing some proofreading of Will's essays of late and I have instructed him on the proper use of the colon. When I saw the colon in this passage of Scripture I immediately went back to all of those mini lessons and thought that the translator used the colon exactly right. Then I got all impressed with myself concerning how deftly I had explained the use of the colon to Will and then...before I knew it the person delivering the sermon finished reading the passage and I was not quite sure where he left off nor was I sure what he said to help explain what was just read.

So yes, Virginia, I find ample opportunities to use punctuation to assess the utility and brilliance of my grammar lessons and to take mind vacations when I should be engaged in other pursuits. It doesn't mean I am a hopeless case. It just means that

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04