The hands of God and death part 2

This is the second post in what I think is going to be a three part blog. The first is here.

I don't like dead things. They creep me out a little. The bigger the dead thing the more creeped out I get about it. Of course this may come as a surprise to people that know how many mice I have killed in my basement (that should be done now) but dead things just seem to be unnatural to me as a son of the earth. I would think that the opposite would be true. I would think that in this sin-soaked earth I would be more comfortable around death. Maybe if I was in different circumstances (on a farm for example) I would be more inclined not to get a little weird when death came. I am trying to get more familiar with it, but I am not one of those people that likes to kill things.

But I am called to die daily, and I am comfortable with the call even though I do not die as much as I should each day. So why is that? Is there a destructive death (dead squirrel under the swing) and a constructive one (killing my desires and become alive to God's)? Is there a death that leads to life and one that leads to more death? I think that there is a destructive death in the lives of people who are not redeemed, but I am. I am a child of God and yet I struggle with death at times. And there it is - the struggle.

It seems to me that in my life, in my new life in Him, God hasn't leashed death as if it needed to be restrained. God has brought death into my home to dine with me. It doesn't even eat all of the roasted potatoes and steak...it passes them to me and bids me to eat my fill of them. He has made it my friendly servant so much so that when I drink of it I find life. When I take up my cross and follow my Savior, when I die, I enter into His reality. I enter into that which is behind the veil and I see. I part the curtain and peer through the window into the Spring rain that renews me daily. Simply put: when I die I live.

There is no more fear of the monster in the closet. It can kill my flesh and, in so doing, will usher in the fullness of my re-creation. It will complete the work that God has already started. No, there are no more monsters for their power has been taken from them and given to Christ. And Christ has given me the full result of the magnificent work he has performed with their death.

But more on that later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer