Taking the plunge again

Well, we purchased my son a ten-gallon aquarium for his birthday and it is currently cycling (on day 5) and I am looking at different ways to set it up before the fish arrive. I have some live hornwort (Ceratophyllum submersum) in there now and have a few strands floating around and some planted in the gravel. I think I will try to use some small suction cups to anchor the plants to the back glass instead of burying the stems. That way the plant will still be floating, but will not float all over the place like the small strands are now.

I have successfully kept tanks in the past (with fancy goldfish) so this is not entirely new to me. What is new is the live plant and tropical fish aspect of it. I have found that some of the equipment that I thought I had I, in fact, do not have, but most of it is in use right now. I think I am still going to have to get a plant light bulb and a new filter (both on the cheap side) but at least the filter can wait for now.

I am finding that I am more impatient than my youngest son (I think) in waiting for the ammonia and nitrite readings to signal the arrival of our aquatic friends, but anything worth doing takes time. Speaking of taking time I think that I may have to do some wholesale replanting of a couple of the summersweet (oh that again?) as I think that I failed to put enough compost in the ground when I planted them. That'll be fun and give me something to do before the nitrifying bacteria take hold in the aquarium.

See, you thought I was boring didn't you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer