Just Trust

 We don't know what happens when we die, we only know we die too soon. The Verdict, Joe Jackson

We are going to be wrapping up a sermon series at Northridge Church soon that has focused on trust. Namely, the trust we should have in God given his character and track record. There has been something that has bothered me for a while now. I mean, I have trusted God with my salvation. What I mean is that I believe that there is a heaven and a hell and I am placing my entire trust in Jesus Christ and the forgiveness of my sins that he offers to me for my admission into heaven. This is the most important decision I will ever make (even more important than my marriage!) and my full trust is in Christ. So, the question is, why do I struggle to trust him in less significant things? Like to provide for my daily needs, my job (if I were to ever lose it), or in the relationships that my family has with others? Why have I ceded the reins of my eternal destiny to him, but not the mundane less significant issues?

In contemplating this a bit, I think that I have come to some sort of a semblance of a conclusion. I mean, I need to be humble enough to open myself up to the fact that I may be deceiving myself, but forward I need to march. Anyway, it seems that, through my death, I will be carried to a place. I will not be able to resist this leading in any way. In other words, I cannot rely on any of my faculties to direct my participation in my death. It will be compulsory and unavoidable as soon as it is initiated in earnest. What choice do I have rather than placing my full trust in God? I have none.

Now, in this life, I still think I have some control to drive my life and decisions in a particular direction. Now this control that I think I have in this life just as illusory. Is it just because I am conscious that I think that I have reason to trust me rather than God? Is it because of my pride? I am convinced that the power I have now to direct my life will be humiliated when death is my portion, but why have I not seen the same certainty in my earthly life? My heartbeat I just had and breath I just took was not my doing. It was, and is, His. 

I have no real power to trust in now. I will have no real power at my death. My lot is to place my trust in God for the here and now in the same way and as perfectly as I have for then. Of course it is easier written than done, but that does not absolve me of my responsibility for it is my sole, rational position before my Creator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04