Reduction and death a bit disheveled

Sometimes I have fragments of thoughts that I could turn into a full post, but it doesn't make sense to. This is one of those posts:

I was watching an old episode of the Twilight Zone last night and caught a glimpse of an interesting transformation. At the beginning of the story death is portrayed as a well put together man handsomely groomed and in control of a situation, an appointment, that he had with a mere mortal. Toward the end of the story his hair was mussed and he was clearly being manipulated by the man who was making the pitch of his life; a "pitch for the angels" as he called it. I got to thinking that if a man could be portrayed as doing that to death I cannot even imagine what the Son of Man actually did to it. I mean, I have some indication of the extent of death's domestication through what has been recorded in the Bible, but I have a feeling that I will be marveling at the Master and His masterstroke for all of eternity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find that I have a tendency to reduce things and even people to a singular event. This reduction is so complete that this singular lapse or even sin defines the sum total of my experience with that person or situation. For example, I have been working with my present employer since 1997. During that time I have seen my salary more than double and have been able to do things with and for my family that I would not have had the opportunity to had I not taken this job. What if I was forced out of my position through a layoff? What if that was an unfair thing to happen to me? Would I reduce my entire experience there, throw out all of the good that has been wrought through my employment there, to this one, single event? Would I focus on that rather than the other? What if someone sins against me? Will that be what I remember of them or will I remember the times we spent out under the stars marveling at His handiwork?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04