Live trap review for chipmunks and mice

I usually don't do this, but I thought I would try to add to the collective knowledge on the world wide web concerning live trapping animals that have invaded a dwelling place. Recently we had a chipmunk that took up some sort of residence in our basement and hilarity ensued...er...attempts were made at trapping him, driving him 10 miles out of town, and releasing him into a new environment.

The first trap I purchased was a lot like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1040-Two-Door-Muskrat-Opossum/dp/B000BQW65A/ref=pd_sbs_lg_3 and I bought it because it was the smallest one they had at the Home Depot. It said that it was all right to use for chipmunks, but the chippy that frequented our basement in the coming days never sprung the trap no matter how many different ways I tried to position the bait. It all seemed rather hopeless.

I did some investigation and noticed that there were some cracks in a cement wall (not the foundation...long story) that the chipmunk was. most likely, using to enter the basement. I made a thorough search of the wood structure where I saw the little critter and did not notice any chew holes or obvious places where it could get in, so I decided to fill in the cracks with foam. I did that over a week ago and we have not been visited since.

To be on the safe side I decided to borrow a trap from some friends who mentioned that they used it to catch a lot of chipmunks. It was quite a bit different and much more sensitive than the one I had purchased so I baited it. The first night it sprang and I had thought we caught the chippy. Nope...it was a mouse. that is not entirely bad news because if a tiny mouse could set this off there is no reason to suspect that it would no spring for a chipmunk.

I was so impressed with it I ordered it the next day: http://www.professionalequipment.com/safeguard-humane-rodent-trap-10-x-3-x-3-53070/animal-trap/. It came quickly and I set up the new trap I received and, yes, caught another mouse. It is looking good if our chippy decides to come back as he will receive a nice trip to a nice park on my way out of the city.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer