There was no cleaning that mess up

We have a kitchen here in my building which is the source of no small amount of hilarity. We have a water dispenser in our refrigerator that I use to fill up a water bottle when I retrieve my lunch so that I can lay off of the soda. I have a tendency to turn sharply around corners in and out of rooms while I pretend in my head that I am being chased by Lex Luthor's minions. OK that part isn't true but the rest is.

So, cutting the corner a bit sharply this day I ran into someone. The force of the collision caused me to spill no small portion of the contents of my water bottle onto the upper half of this person's shirt. I knew her very well and quickly apologized, but at the same time I noticed that the fabric that made up the shirt was very water-repellant. It was doing its job particularly well that day and there were at least 50 beads of water that were dancing like little diamonds at a debutante ball. Ok, so, what do I do? I just baptized one of my co-workers (against her wishes) and had to perform some act of service. Do I offer to get her a paper towel? Do I comment on the weather resistance of her smartly styled shirt? Nope.

To her horror I am sure, and completely ignoring the voice in my head saying "HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT!! HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT!!" I reached out my nimble fingers in an attempt to wipe, yes wipe with my bare hand, the water from her, um, chest. Well, I can't be certain of this, but I think that the same angel that held back Abraham's hand from sacrificing his son was dispatched to my aid to hold mine from creating a truly awkward (and perhaps criminal) moment out of something that was merely unfortunate.

With cold sweat running down my neck and my heart racing knowing that I almost got to finally find out if mace really tightens my pores, I made way back to my desk and contemplated how I could have handled the situation differently. I still didn't offer her a paper towel. Or a compliment. But, under the circumstances, I think she was fine with that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer