An idea that actually sort of worked

Well, I needed a topsoil screen in the worst way... I am almost there with the trench and had visions of finishing it up this weekend when I ran into an idea. I am, probably, an eighth of a yard of stone short of completing this trench the exact way I wanted to in the beginning. I was going to just throw a bunch of dirt on top of the trench (that is surrounded by landscape fabric) but I got to thinking that there is probably at least an eighth of a yard of stone in the dirt that I dug out to begin this whole process. What I needed was a topsoil screener and, of course, I don't have one. So as I am making my way to the Home Depot I had an idea: drill a bunch of holes with a spade bit into a piece of plywood, place it over the wheelbarrow, and sift the soil through it. OK, I thought, that's cheap and we'll see how good of an idea it is.

Well, I made a u-turn and found a piece of plywood that was the exact width and length I needed to make this work. I then drilled 1/2" holes in it (in a semi-regular pattern) and tried to use it. Well, the soil was a bit wet and the holes were getting clogged too easily. I then opted for 3/4" holes and that worked a whole lot better. Not perfect mind you, but definitely better. I think that if the soil were dryer I would have had more success.

We are in for numerous sunny days in a row here so I think that I may just have the right conditions to make this work. I washed off the stone that I did end up getting out of the soil and placed it on top of the landscape-fabric covered trench and was encouraged that I would, indeed, have enough. Like Hannibal Smith I also love it when a plan comes together, but I will celebrate even harder when this trench is behind me and it works as designed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer