Unbridled, unadulterated, unrestrained...

I love the words unbridled, unadulterated, unrestrained or any other word that communicates a purity of an activity. What makes me fall even more in love with these words is if they precede others like stupidity, idiocy, or any other world that communicates a lack of any common sense. From what I can tell, it is hard (even for me) to display an unbridled stupidity or do something that is completely lacking in any wisdom whatsoever.

I offer this as an example: if I am confronted with a particularly unpleasant activity, I often say that I would rather "drink a cup full of razor blades" rather than have to participate in it. Now, drinking a cup full of razor blades is stupid, but is it an example of unbridled stupidity? The easy answer is "yes", but, upon closer examination, we find that there is a bit more wisdom in that statement than meets the eye:
  • I would be drinking the razor blades instead of eating them which would save my precious gums
  • I would be holding the razor blades in a cup rather than my hand which, again, would help preserve other areas of my body (namely my palm and fingers)
  • I am inflicting any damage on myself rather than disabling someone else therefore I have not assaulted anyone
  • I thought I had a fourth bullet, but I don't think so now...
So there we are. As blindingly stupid as that action is, it is not quite unbridled in its stupidity. I guess that is what attracts me to those adjectives. They are so hard to achieve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer