Synergy Client/Server

OK, at the risk of turning this into a tech blog more and more I just had to write about the Synergy Client/Server installation that I just set up. Synergy is a program that directs the keyboard and mouse input from a server to a client. I set up the Synergy server to be my main desktop (Windows XP) and the client is my laptop (Ubuntu 7.0.4). So, once the server and the client are started and connected, I tap the left edge of my server monitor twice and the input for the mouse and keyboard is transferred to the client. If I tap the right edge of the client twice, the mouse and keyboard input is now directed to the server. Pretty nifty.

Now for the cooler part. I can copy or cut content from the client or server and paste it in the other. I can see some really useful things coming of that. I am often at web pages or in applications where the content is germane to what I am working on in another application. This way I can look at the content and efficiently modify what I am editing without switching windows on the same monitor. It is especially nice in that the Server is Windows and the client is Linux.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer