2.5 months to form a habit?

In reading about forming new habits I have heard that it takes anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months so I am going to arbitrarily round it to 2.5 months. Not that the length of time to form the habit has anything to do with this particular entry because I have been exercising in the morning now for 1 year and 3 months. Plenty of time to cement this little routine into my life.

The good of it is that I have lost between 35 and 40 pounds, my energy is through the roof, I have lost 3 inches off of my waist (from a 36 to a 33) and people who haven't seen me in a while notice that I have lost weight. The bad news is that I still need to make a conscious effort every single morning to don my sneakers and get on the treadmill. Every morning.

This morning was the worst. I was so close to bagging the whole thing but I did what I should do and went the full length of my routine. I have had to do this in the past and I would think that every time I choose to do the exercise that I would find those temptations and struggles to decrease. They don't. Times like this morning make me well aware that they haven't gone away.

I think that the only thing that is keeping me going is the results and the recognition. The other night we met some friends at their new place and had a nice dinner. One of our friends asked if I had lost weight. I thought of this comment this morning and what a tragedy it would be for me to start packing it on again. That is a large part of what got me back on the treadmill and through the 30-minutes/2.5-miles/320-calories-burned-happy-fun-time that has been with me these many months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer