I want to learn - so I teach

There is a lot of truth to the statement that if you want to learn then you should teach. God has put me into many different positions where I have been able to teach His Word. I have taught adults, teens, junior high, middle school kids - almost all the way down the line. I think I have bottomed out at about 3rd grade. I think that is the lowest age group I am interested in teaching anyway.

What is great about teaching is not only do I have to internalize the subject matter, but I have to figure out how to communicate it so that it can be learned by my audience. I am a firm believer in the fact that the teacher is not only responsible for knowing and communicating the subject matter, but also that the students learn it. Yes, the teacher is responsible for the student's learning. How far does this go? Well, let's just say that I have fully embraced the implications of this in the settings where I have taught.

This makes me defficient as a teacher and maybe even a hypocrite. But that fact does not change my conviction and does not change the truth. I refuse to ignore it just because it makes me unconfortable or rails against my pride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer