Conflict and relationship

OK, I admit it. I watch Supernanny. Jo Jo is my hero. No, but seriously I think the show exposes me to traps that I do not want to fall into. Last night there was an incredibly sad situation where a 13 year old girl had absolutely nothing for a relationship with her dad. It made me so sad to see what their interactions had become and what the prevailing mood of the house was when they interacted. The hopelessness the girl had for ever connecting with her father; the hopelessness the father had in ever being the dad he knew he needed to be. It was just so dark. It will take a lot of effort to mend her brokenness - hopefully it can be mended.

Being a dad is so hard sometimes. I need a kick in the pants every once in a while (like one I got last night) to do what I need to do with my boys. I want to be their leader, mentor, guide, and, sometimes, their playmate. I want all of that in hopes that I will raise them in a way that they can impact their world with the Gospel of Christ.

By the time they are 13 I want them to be able to come to me and talk about the girl they like, or the bully they would rather move away from. I want them to express their doubts about the God they serve, or the fear of ultimately being rejected by Him. It took a long time for me to open up to my parents about those things. It was probably more me than them, but, Lord, please let it be different with my boys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer