Transmission

Socrates said that the he knew nothing save his ignorance. Which is quite a statement of knowledge in my opinion but I won’t get into that right now. I was thinking if there was a difference between “I know” and “I was told”. The first is a claim to knowledge and trust in the receiver the second an admission of ignorance and trust in the transmitter. If my knowledge is based on a revelation rather than an inquiry it seems to me that I am on a much firmer ground rather than if I sought the facts and formed an element of knowledge myself. Do I have all of the facts? Do I have any facts? Do my senses and prejudices prevent me from forming an objective view of what I have been asked to process?

But what of the transmitter or, in my case, the Transmitter? Is He reliable? Is He seeking to deceive me and cause me harm? Is He even a He? Unfortunately subjecting the Transmitter to inquiry leads me back to where I was in the first place where my bias and prejudice may obscure the construction of an objective element of knowledge based on facts that may not even be facts at all. Is that simply the best I can do? In and of myself I am afraid the answer is yes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer